How to play
Green Light: Go! was created raise awareness of consent and sexual assault with a variation on the game Red Light, Green Light. For our purposes, we’re using it as a metaphor for sexual consent.
- Green light (yes) = go.
- Red light (no) = stop.
- Yellow light (yield) = stop and ask.
Only an "enthusiastic yes" counts as consent. As the It’s On Us campaign puts it — “sex without consent is rape.”
To win the game: Be the first to reach the opposite end of the field
Rules of the game:
- One person is designated the “traffic light” (TL). He will be positioned at one end of a field.
- Players will line up at the starting line on the opposite end of the field from the TL.
- When the TL yells “Green light!” the players run.
- When the TL yells “Red light!” the players stop. Any player who does not stop immediately will be sent back to the starting line.
- When the TL yells “Yellow light!” each player must turn to another player and ask if it is okay to continue to run forward. (This variation represents the moments that partners should check in with each other to make certain there is positive consent to continue physically.)
- Any player who runs forward without permission during yellow light will be sent back to the starting line.